Monday, August 6, 2012

Steve Carrell's Words of Wisdom for Princeton Grads



Be kind, make someone laugh and don't take yourself too seriously, Carell told Princeton seniors.

In his Class Day address, actor and comedian Steve Carell gave the graduating seniors a lighthearted scolding for relying too heavily on technologies like texting and tweeting in favor of personal interactions. "You are young," he told the students. "And because of that, you are wrong."


Carell was once on track to attend law school. But the 1984 Denison University graduate became stumped while filling out his application to Stanford Law School. The essay question read:  "Why do you want to be an attorney?”
“I really had no idea,” Carell told Princeton’s graduating seniors. “It sounded good. My parents had worked extraordinarily hard to give me a great education, and I felt that I owed them some sort of valid career choice.
"So I sat down with my folks, and asked them what they thought, and they proceeded to give me the best advice that I had ever received, or would ever receive. Their words were profound, wise, and they completely altered the rest of my life.
“They said something like ‘blah, blah, blah, follow your dreams, blah, blah, blah.’ I don’t remember exactly what it was, but I didn’t go to law school.”

Read more here:

Credits: 
Princeton University, Office of Communications, David Kelly Crow
Haddonfield Sun